Ridgeline in West Eugene
Ridgeline near Fox Hollow
Ridgeline from Spencer Butte Middle School
West Ridgeline area
Ridgeline Open Space Vision and Action Plan
The ridgeline area is a unique and valuable community asset spanning the twenty mile corridor between Fern Ridge Reservoir and Mount Pisgah.
This special area contains high value habitats, outstanding scenery, and working farms and forestland. It protects, connects, and enhances a variety of habitats; provides regional recreational opportunities and trail connections for residents and visitors alike; and showcases the area's natural, scenic, and historic landscape.
The Ridgeline Area Open Space Vision has been developed to serve as a conceptual framework for future open space and recreation efforts for this area. In addition to the Vision, a detailed Action Plan has been developed to help direct the implementation of the Ridgeline Area Open Space Vision and is included in this report. The Action Plan includes goals, recommended actions, and strategies organized under the following five categories: Habitat Conservation and Management; Recreation; Tourism; Water Resources; Views and Viewsheds; and Urban-Rural Transition.
Key Implementation Guidelines
The Ridgeline Area Vision and Action Plan will be implemented through voluntary participation of study partners and private property owners. Guidelines for implementation include:
- Reliance on a partnership of local, county, state, and federal agencies, land trusts, watershed councils, and private property owners to implement the vision.
- Use of a non-regulatory approach to achieve the ridgeline area open space vision.
- Reliance on voluntary participation of private property owners. Information, technical assistance, and incentives will be provided to help private property owners implement the ridgeline area vision.
- Coordination of the open space vision and its implementation with ongoing planning efforts for developable lands in the area.
Vision and Action Plan (click image for full size PDF)
Vision Map (click image for full size PDF)
Vision Map (2.9 MB PDF)
Vision Map Key (171 KB PDF)
Citizen Involvement Summary Report(click image for full size PDF)
The Ridgeline Area Open Space Vision and Action Plan is based on a compilation of public input, existing policy direction, and guidance from the ridgeline partnership team and other local, state, and federal agencies. Representatives from the following organizations provided significant guidance and resources toward this effort:
- Lane Council of Governments
- McKenzie River Trust
- Lane County Parks
- The Nature Conservancy
- U.S. Bureau of Land Management
- City of Eugene
- Long Tom Watershed Council
- Willamalane Park and Recreation District
- U.S. National Park Service
Resource Maps (13.3 MB PDF)
Habitat Conservation Incentive Programs (83 KB PDF)
Citizen Involvement Summary Report - 1/25/07 (158 KB PDF)
Ridgeline Vision Presentation (7.60 MB PDF)
Jeff Krueger, Senior Landscape Architect